National Body Image Speaker and former runway model
“I want teens to know that they are more than how they compare themselves to the movie stars, the number of their followers on Instagram or Twitter, and the images they see in magazines. They are uniquely gifted, valuable, and beautiful just for being who they are.” – Jennifer Strickland
Jennifer learned first-hand this lesson of body image. As a teenager, she signed with one of the top modeling agencies in the world. She went on to become a successful runway model, working in the US and Europe. She walked the runway for Giorgio Armani, appeared in TV commercials, music videos and countless magazines.
Though her life seemed glamorous and enviable, behind the picture-perfect image Jennifer struggled with depression, drugs, anorexia and thoughts of suicide. She felt unfulfilled.
Since leaving the industry, Jennifer has made it her mission to dispel the damaging lie that a person’s worth is bade on appearance or accomplishment. She visits schools across the country talking to girls and boys about healthy body image.
- Jennifer’s honest and relevant speaking style communicates core issues teens struggle with including eating disorders, cyberbullying and other risk behaviors
- She empowers students to see themselves positively, which builds self-esteem
- Jennifer’s clear stance on having healthy self-confidence can lead students to a cooperative attitude and the potential for higher achievement
- As a mother of three, Jennifer understands the image issues faced by teens and quips parents with the tools they need to support their child during their formidable years
- Jennifer feels the motive for using cameras and social media has changed drastically and it is a high priority for parents to create safe boundaries online which promotes a guard in destructive digital environments
After hearing her speak, students say they will never look at a magazine, or themselves, in the same way again. Book a program with Jennifer Strickland to teach your students about positive body image.
Reviews of Jennifer Strickland's Programs
“Jen exudes confidence and compassion as she tells her story about success, failure, and an inspiring sense of rebirth! A lot of students who normally don’t pay attention in class, were mesmerized by Jen. She had such a positive spirit!”
~Middle School Intervention Specialist
“WOW is what I heard. I have had girls from 7-12 tell me how much they enjoyed Jennifer’s program and how badly ‘they needed to hear her.’ Plus I have gotten e-mails from moms who thank me profusely for bringing in someone who spoke to eloquently yet honestly about the battles their girls fight every day.”
~Middle School Counselor “Jennifer Strickland was excellent! The students were touched and i think that several were helped by her message. It was wonderful. We want her again for our girls next year.”
“I just picked up my girls from school today and they both talked all the way home about Jennifer’s presentation. It was a BIG HIT with Middle School and High School kids (both boys and girls). My high school daughter mentioned that she was glad that for once, a speaker focused on girls’ topics instead of sports or boy topics. She said that Jennifer engaged with the boys and made them answer questions too. My middle school daughter said that everyone in the middle school was paying attention too, and that all her friends were very tuned into what Jen was saying. Both girls said that they thought it was fine that boys were with the girls during the presentation because the boys ‘needed to hear this stuff too.’”