Former Collegiate Division I Football Player and National Latino Youth Speaker
“I want students to know that their circumstances do not define their future. Dream BIG DREAMS, and no matter how tough the journey is, don’t ever lose sight of them.”
Jonathan Media is a former collegiate Division I football player and a nationally recognized Latino Motivational Youth Speaker. With an incredible story of overcoming adversity, Jonathan has made it his life’s mission to inspire students to dream big, and encourage parents and educators to play a vital role in empowering today’s youth.
Having grown up in Rio Hondo, Texas, one of the lowest income communities in the United States, Jonathan faced many hardships during his childhood. His mother was first incarcerated when he was in middle school and then again when he entered high school. Estranged from his biological father, Jonathan was raised by his grandfather, who was a migrant field worker. He provided stability and a strong paternal presence to Jonathan and his siblings, and taught them the important lesson of, “En esta vida hay que luchar,” which means, “In this life we must fight.”
Despite his difficult home life, Jonathan made the choice to fight for his future. While he possessed natural talent in athletics, Jonathan knew that in order to achieve his dream of one day attending an Ivy League school, education had to be his top priority. He kept his focus in the classroom, and also became very involved on campus including serving as student class president both his junior and senior years.
Jonathan recalls hearing many negative voices along the way; some even from educators who thought his dream of attending a prestigious university was next to impossible. With immense effort and persistence, he overcame obstacles and naysayers, graduating from high school in the top 10. Not only did Jonathan thrive academically, but because of his remarkable athleticism, he achieved his dream of being recruited by top Ivy League schools like Harvard and Stanford. Ultimately, Jonathan committed to Georgetown University in Washington D.C., one of the world’s leading academic and research institutions. He walked onto the Division 1 football team and was a starter for two years as an offensive lineman.
While at Georgetown, Jonathan made it a priority to be involved on campus, just as he did in high school. He worked with the Georgetown University Alumni Association to help raise scholarship funds for future students who came from similar backgrounds, who also had the dream to achieve academic success. During his time working with the Alumni Association, Jonathan ranked No. 1 in fundraising for the organization within a 3-year span.
In his highly interactive program, Jonathan inspires audiences to protect their dreams from bulling, peer pressure, drugs and alcohol, and negative voices. His various strength demonstrations show students, parents and educators how to fight (luchar) for their dreams.
- Empower the whole child. Students will be encouraged to succeed in the classroom, as well as learn the importance of participating in extracurricular activities
- Students are challenged to reach their highest potential and relentlessly strive for academic success, with an end result of becoming lifelong learners
- His message of, “In this life we must fight,” empowers students to make good life and behavioral choices when it comes decisions that will impact their futures
- His program illustrates the importance of strong relationships within the family unit
- He effectively communicates his message to parents of diverse backgrounds (programs may be given in Spanish, English, or bilingual)
- Jonathan reiterates to educators the lasting impact they can have on a student’s life, equipping them to improve connections with struggling students
Request information on booking Jonathan Medina talk to your school.